Thursday, December 28, 2006

LITTLE SISTER BROUGHT HER NEW BOYFRIEND ...

I loves me some Christmas. Love it. So much so that I end up with an inevitable Christmas hangover the next day which is why I took off from work and just laid in bed forever. All the food, family and fun are great but can definitely wear on you once it's all over. They obviously have no affect on my use of ridiculous alliteration though. So I love Christmas because it starts sometime during my Thanksgiving Day nap and ends for me sometime around 10:00 p.m. on Dec. 25. I also love that on Christmas Day everything totally shuts down. No shopping. No eating out (except for IHOP apparently). No nothing. And I love Christmas because not only does it remind me how great my family and friends are, but more importantly it reminds me of how funny they are. So here are a few stories for your amusement.

My family is great. And there are a lot of things they know a lot about ... but wine is not one of them. I readily admit to knowing nothing of wine myself ... but this stuff still makes me laugh. Sometime long ago in a land far, far away someone in my family had a glass of White Zinfandel. They found it to be very delicious and now for whatever reason it is considered the wine of all wines at family gatherings. Again, I know nothing of wine except really that this stuff is not good. In fact I would venture to say it's somewhere among the lowest of the low. But most in my family love it so that's what we drink. Even from a box if that's what's available. So fast forward from long ago in a land far, far away to Christmas Day 2006 at my grandparents. The only bottle of wine in the house oddly enough is a bottle of white wine ... Chardonnay I think. This is announce and my uncle immediately gets up from his chair and in a sort of heroic manner announces that he'll be right back with "the good stuff." He only lives about 500 yards down the road so he returned shortly with White Zinfandel in hand and the day was saved. Everyone was happy and the white wine could live to see another day.

On this same Christmas Day my cousin Leigh (it was also her 18th birthday) received a new Honda Civic from my grandparents. It's been a sort of tradition in our family for our grandparents to purchase a car for each of us at some point. It usually happens during college so Leigh and everyone else was definitely surprised to see it roll up with a big bow on it. So later in the morning my aunt, uncle (not Leigh's parents) and I go with Leigh to take the car for a spin. She asks were we can go and I suggest the convenience store for a little joke. So Leigh go's inside and buys several scatch off lottery tickets and a pack of Salem Lights. When we walk back into the living room where the rest of the family is gathered she tosses the lottery tickets to her mom and says, "could you hold these while I open my cigarettes? ... and oh, by the way, I'm getting married and there's nothing you can do about it." It was priceless. And possibly the comedic hit of the day.

Later that night I had Christmas with my more immediate family including my neice and nephews. I opened my present from my 6 year old twin nephews to find a shot glass checkers game ... complete with 26 shot glasses inside. Sam (twin #1) immediately starts to tell me that I can put my favorite drink in the glasses and the Eli (twin #2) proceeds to tell me the glasses are for juice. I loved it. Kids are really great. I'm sure in about 10 or 12 years they'll be digging through boxes in my basement looking for that thing.

All in all it was a great Christmas. I got some pretty sweet things I'd been wanting and felt like I got the chance to give some pretty great presents myself. It was a great time with family and a needed break from work. Hope yours was just as holly and just as jolly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home