Monday, June 05, 2006

Reflections from Wisconsin

So this past weekend I went to Marshfield, WI (don't ask me to point it out on a map because I can't) for the wedding of my friend Shane. Below you will find the highs, lows and a few points from somewhere in between.

-Midwest Airlines is my new favorite airline. If you ask, "is it the Southwest of the midwest?" I would say, "yes." I studied this company in college but have never flown with them before. The entire plane is first class style ... i.e. 2 seats on each side instead of 3, big leather chairs with a console in between, footrests, etc. Everyone in the company was extremely helpful and nice and to top it all off when you walk down the jetway you catch the smell of freshly baking chocolate chip cookies. That's right, they bake them on board and serve them hot and chewy. Delicious.

-Midwest Connect is now my least favorite airline. This is the little tiny puddle jumping prop plane I took from Milwaukee to Mosinee, WI. It was an hour long flight and the first 30 minutes were fine. The final 30 minutes were like riding the Texas Giant rollercoaster for a half hour at 15,000 feet. I almost lost the delicious cookies from the earlier flight. At one point the butts of all 20 passengers (that's right, 20 passengers and the flight was full) came out of their seats. Everyone's hands were flung up over their heads and audible gasps were heard from everyone. Several times I wondered if the pilot really knew how to fly. He would speak on the intercom but the plane was so loud no one could hear him. At one point I wondered if he was saying, "ladies and gentlemen please prepare for a crash landing." That wouldn't have surprised me that much.

-I made some great new friends this weekend. It's cool how people from totally different parts of the country can mesh so well and have such a great time. You can meet some of them on my myspace page if you're so inclined.

-You know how at a reception in Texas you have a glass of water and then usually your only other option (other than alcohol) is iced tea? Well if you're in Marshfield, WI and it's the middle of DairyFest then your other option is milk. I saw a waitress with a tray full of milks and thought it must be for some poor kids whose mom makes them drink milk at dinner. But then I saw tray after tray of milk going out to the tables. I only drink milk if it accompanies chocolate chip cookies, oreo cookies or a peanut butter sandwich so I refrained. But I thought it was cool.

-Stretch limos can't make it over the same types of humps that regular cars can go over.

-I think the open bar is one of the greatest inventions of all time. Seriously. Name something more genius than that.

-Apparently at a reception if everyone starts hitting their glasses with a spoon that means the bride and groom have to make out. I had never seen this before but apparently it's pretty common. Seems kind of annoying to me. But then again, I wasn't the one getting to make out.

-This was one of the top 5 weddings of which I've been involved. The reception lasted almost 7 hours. That's right. 7 hours. We had dinner at 6:00 and then ordered a lot of pizzas around 10:00. How cool is that? 11 piece swing band for the entertainment. And all the rail drinks you could consume.

-Apparently in Texas we call them wells and not rails (see above point)

-So I'm standing at the front of the church (I was a groomsman and that's usually what groomsmen do) during the wedding and they start to play the first song. As the intro goes on I'm thinking, "what in the world is this song?" And then as the lyrics starts it hits me. I then think, "please tell me you're not playing a Rascal Flats song in the middle of your wedding." It was true. I would be really pissed if someone tried to play that song in my house so I can only imagine how God must have felt.

-On the plane ride home I sat next to a 10 year old kid that was wearing one of those cheese head hats. I don't think he was wearing it out of pride for his state or their football team. I guess he either thought it would keep the sun out of his eyes, or he thought everyone was wearing them. Regardless, it made me laugh.

-Wisconsin was wonderful and I'd go back anytime but it was so great to step off the plane into 95 degree weather and go straight to the home of some friends for a dinner of Frito chili pie and Shiner Bock. Thanks so much friends for the welcome back.

1 Comments:

Blogger shane said...

loved having you there, man. sorry about the rascall flatts. it was tough coming up with songs that could get approved by the pastor and weren't super old-school at the same time. hence the switchfoot song as well. anyways, i frankly don't even remember much of either song. :) great to read your thoughts on the trip. hopefully see you in a few days....expect a more traditional laid back texas reception...unless rebecca comes up with the "two-step" band she wanted to find (read, two or three of her high school friends trying to play country music). cheers.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home