Tuesday, January 31, 2006

2005: The Year In Review

That's right people, this is probably a month overdue but none-the-less here it is. 2005 was probably one of the most volatile years of my life thus far. I began the year unemployed and it took a little while for things to get better. I got a W2 (or is it W4) in the mail the other day and I had no idea who it was from. It reminded me of the crazy part time and contract work I did over the first part of last year. I worked very hard trying to secure job with Bluebunny Ice Cream but in the end was unsuccessful in my attempt. This was hard to stomach, not so much from a financial standpoint but from one of pride. It hurt to lose and that was something I hadn't felt in a while. I worked on a contract basis for Dreyer's ice cream for a few weeks doing freezer resets in Albertson's and then as a merchandiser for Coca Cola. Both of these jobs started at 6:00 in the morning which is another thing I was not used to.

So then in April the big break came. I accepted a job with Lorillard Tobacco Company, makers of Newport cigarettes. I thought this would be cool because there would be an air of controversy and disapproval about it and for some reason I liked the idea of that. I think looking back it was probably just my way of masking a feeling of total relief for having a job. That feeling wore off fast. I spent two weeks for training in an office in Atlanta where it is okay to smoke indoors. The smell in one's clothes (and hair if one had any) would almost kill you. But it was a job and I worked on.

The summer was long and hot, but after work each day the shirt and tie came off and everything was great. Weekends were spent on a wakeboard behind a boat on Lake Ray Roberts. Nothing like a long day on the water followed by barbeque and cold beer on the way home. It was a great summer.

I dated a girl for a while. That was something I hadn't done in a while. She was really pretty but wasn't the one so we went our separate ways. It was nice to spend time with someone though. I had forgotten that.

In July I bought a house of my own. It is quite possibly the scariest thing I've done and I still shudder when I write the check for the mortgage each month. In the end though I'm happy to be living here. Although it is sometimes lonely, I enjoy living by myself. I have a little patch of dirt and shelter that is all mine (or at least it will be in 29 and a half years) and I'm proud of that.

In November I took a job with IKON Office Solutions and have worked there since. It is challenging, motivating, hard, requires long hours, but all in all good. I don't know if this is the job I'll do for the long haul, but I'm okay with that. I actually don't know if there will ever be a "long haul" job. That idea scares me.

I hit the fat part of the bell curve of 2005 for you. There were some days that were unbelievably joyous and momentous and others that felt like the darkest night my soul has ever seen. I'd like to keep both of those for myself.

In late 2004 I decided to quit my job, pack up everything I owned and move back to the Dallas area for a number of reasons. 1) get a better/more career focused job 2) be closer to family, especially the niece and nephews who sometimes were unsure of me when I came home to visit 3) and finally to get the hell out of Houston. The night before I left Houston I had dinner with two of my closest friends. They kept asking me for 3 good reasons why I was leaving. I didn't give them an answer because all of a sudden I realized I couldn't put my finger on it. I know I just listed 3 reasons but when you say them out loud to your best friends that you're about to leave, it doesn't seem like near enough. The truth is I just knew it was time to move on. I thought I could leave Houston without any reservation or tears and then as we ate and talked I realized thatI was about to leave two of the best friends I'd ever had. I sometimes second guess my decision when I see pictures of them with their beautiful daughter that I have yet to meet. Or remember the dinners and conversations at Mango's or Chuy's. But in the end I know I made the right decision. I'm not always sure I know why, but I just know.

So after almost a year and a half of turbulence and an effort to settle down a bit I hoping for a more stable 2006. I'm hoping I'm a year wiser. I know I'm a year older. We'll just wait and see from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home