Friday, January 20, 2006

The Man In Black


Back in the 1950's there was a man named Johnny Cash who along with guys like Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis changed the face of modern music. I don't think that anyone single handedly invented rock 'n roll but if anyone was close it was this group of guys. They joined forces at Sun Records and began touring the country taking their rebellious style and sound along with them. As the years passed they all took their own paths and developed their own unique style. Being from Arkansas originally, Johnny followed his roots and took the rockabilly based stylings these musicians had and made it distinctly country and more importantly distinctly his. For those who have listened to any music Johnny made during his career you know that you don't even have to hear words before you know it's him. It's difficult to put into words the effect this man had on music and more importantly on humanity. I recently purchased the newly released "The Legend of Johnny Cash". This is basically a compilation of music from all parts of Johnny's career. The thing I like most about this record is it goes in chronological order and as you listen to each song they seem to come alive and allow you to see him in whatever stage of life he may have been when the song was originally released. I love hearing songs that made him famous originally at Sun Records to the songs he performed or wrote with June Carter Cash later on to the songs from the 80's with the Highwaymen to the songs he recorded with Rick Rubin for the series of American Records albums he put out in the twilight of his career. You can hear the changes from decade to decade and almost feel the pain or the love, the darkness or light and all other emotional aspects of his life over the course time but the distinct sound of Johnny Cash permeates everything he did. You know what it is. It's the simple and rhythmic do-chica-do-chica sound from his days with the Tennessee Two. You can even hear it in the American Recordings songs when he simply plays the guitar and sings alone.

You know most great musicians have a period of fame and hit records and then although they continue to play and create they seem to slip into the background of the music industry and are just known and appreciated for their previously recorded body of work. The last single Johnny released before his death was his version of the Nine Inch Nails song called "Hurt". The video for that song was the most amazing music video I've seen in my life. It allowed you to look at his entire life, the ups and downs, good and bad and then have Johnny looking into the camera with his haunting stare and in the most beautiful way possible tell the world it meant nothing. Johnny Cash was a man who knew and walked with the Lord. I love him for everything he did in his life and the influence he has had on me musically but for this I consider him a hero and a role model.

I don't know that there will ever be another person like Johnny Cash. Personally I don't think there can be. When he died I read an article in the Austin American Statesman about him. The writer talked about a time Johnny came to Dallas for a show. So he got in his car and drove north to cover the show. He found out what hotel Johnny was staying at the then camped out in the lobby. After waiting several hours he noticed a commotion coming down the stairs and then all of a sudden there he was. Johnny Cash was bigger than life and he was experiencing it to the fullest. He gathered enough strength to walk up, shake hands and say hello, but that was all he could muster. He said after the fact, he was so overwhelmed with the situation that he didn't even notice that June Carter Cash, a bonified country star in her own right was walking right next to her husband.

Johnny Cash was an amazing man who lived an amazing life. I think this record celebrates that life to the fullest and whether you like country music or not you should experience what this man created. For 50 years he helped shape almost all aspects of modern music and he is to be celebrated.


The Man In Black - Johnny Cash

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home