Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My Top 5 Winter Olympic Competitions


I have to tell you, for my money I'll take the winter games over those of the summer anyday of the week. It's obvious the summer games are more like what the original olympics were like so I dig the fact that the winter olympics people just made up a bunch of crazy stuff to compete in over the years and now we have the winter olympics. I mean, is the guy in this picture really skiing with a rifle strapped to his back? How awesome is that? So now I give you my top 5 favorite winter olympics competitions in no particular order.

1) Biathlon - it goes something like this. You get on cross country skis. Ski out to a place where you take target practice. And then ski back. Somehow they figure a winner out of that. I mean, who in the world came up with the idea of putting cross country skiing and gun play together? If I could I would shake his hand, because this competition is cool. Really, really cool.

2) Skeleton - As I stated in a previous post I have some mad props for the competitors in the one man luge. I question the morality of the two man but am a fan of the one man. However I have now learned there is a sport just like the luge only the maniacs go down headfirst at speeds approaching 80 mph. That is awesome! It takes me back to the one time it iced over while I was at A&M and everyone took lunch trays from the cafeteria and rode them down the ramps of the parking garage. It's essentially the same thing only faster. Much faster. You know if those guys wreck they'll probably die. I can respect that. I wouldn't do it. But I respect it.

3) Snowboard Cross - I'm so glad this stuff made it into the olympics. People have made comments about the Americans wanting it in the olympics because we invented the sport and are in turn very good at it. Doesn't every olympic sport come from something people were just doing for the fun of it and then decided to make it into a competition? Well now we have snowboard cross and I love it. Did you see that girl from the USA do a board grab and fall on one of the last jumps in her race. She was assured gold until she ate it while showing off. Now that's cool. And of course while all the other athletes are training, focusing or psyching themselves out for their compeititions, the snowboarders are out at the local bar all night partying. It's like there is an understanding that if one person parties ... they all party. That way the competition is fair.

4) Freestyle skiing (moguls and big flipping competition) - this takes some big ones my friend. Especially the one where they just jump 50 feet in the air, do flips and twists and then land on hard snow at only a 37 degree angle. No thanks. How do you start doing that crap? I mean, there has to be a first time where you just go for it. And there has to be a time where you land on your head because you screwed up on something. So why aren't more of these people dead?
5) Snowboard halfpipe - Shaun White, what's up? That kid is unreal. He's 19, has three huge houses in the states, and was totally clutch in this competition after botching a landing in his first run. These guys and girls catch so much air it's not even funny. If there was one olympic competition I could compete in it would be this one. I think they definitely get the most chicks. Except for maybe that Italian cross country team. Apparently they're really popular and they won so they're getting a lot of Italian lovin'. As for me though, I'd stay on the snowboarding hill because that's where the action is.

So there you have it. My top 5. If it changes I'll let you know. Any other winter olympics competitions you guys are digging? Any figure skating fans? I hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home