Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Roger Lodge And His Influence On Society

Okay, I'm not a huge fan of going on blind dates, but if the person trying to set me up is a friend that I consider cool enough for the job or just berates me with it until I give in, I'll usually give it a try. So below are some bulleted thoughts of mine on blind dating. Enjoy.

- it's so easy for a person to say "here's her phone number. Give her a call." And it doesn't even sound like a big deal to me until I get ready to dial. Then I freak out for some reason. What will I say? Will she know who I am or think I'm some random person calling? What if when I ask questions she gives one word answers not allowing me enough time to formulate a follow up question? And the list of panic questions goes on and on.

- for some reason when I'm on a blind date I feel like there should be cameras in our faces at all times and that the night will be edited for broadcast at a later date ... and will of course have corny captions everytime I do something suspect.

- I don't understand how the blind date couples on t.v. can go from meeting to naked in the hot tub in a matter of hours. It sounds good in theory but I would have no idea as to how to go about making that happen.

- is it okay to talk with your date about "blind dates" and the fact you are on one? Or joke about how akward they can be in an effort to break the ice? I feel like this could be a good move but haven't used it yet.

- I have never met someone and asked them out all in the same day. The people I've dated in the past have all been girls I had known for a while and developed some sort of friendship with. I think that's just the sort of person I am and as far as blind dates go I think that sort of stacks the odds against me before I even walk out the door.

- my profession is sales ... but I don't like to come across as a "salesman". My approach professionally is to build relationships with potential customers and put them in a position to understand on their own the benefits of what I have to offer. I think dating should be the same way which again puts me at a disadvantage because although I know I'm pretty cool, it may take a girl a few dates to realize that.

- if you think the date is the hard part, then you're wrong. The hardest part is the next day trying to figure out what in the world the other person is thinking. Having mutual friends can always expedite that process.

- this all boils down to figuring out if you'll go out again. There are three questions that both parties must answer to figure this out. It would be great if there was a questionaire to fill out at the end that you would then feed into a machine that would in turn tell you if you should go out again. But I don't think that exists so you have to figure these things out on your own. Questions are: 1) did I have a good time tonight 2) do I like this person 3) was there a connection between us ...... success in 1 and 2 is nice but if you don't have an affirmation for question number 3 then you're dead in the water. Personally I think this can sometimes take a while to figure out, but in the world of blind dating you've got one shot. So make it a good one.

- at the end of the day hopefully at the worst you had a great meal with a pretty girl. Every now and then there's something to be said for that I guess.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geesh I didn't think guys analized that much. If it's this complicated for the guy, it's just as bad, if not worse, for the girl....

So you going to call her? Start with "Hi", whatever you do - don't hang up. Good luck!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home