Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Uncle Sam Wants You ...

... to shop at Brookshires! I've seen several instances in the past few weeks here in McKinney of companies using what seems to be homeless people dressed up as either Uncle Sam or The Statue of Liberty standing out by the street trying to lure would be customers into the parking lot and of course into their store. I always see this dirty old man dressed as Uncle Sam outside of Brookshires. I'm pretty sure he does not work for Brookshires and hell, for all I know he may not work for anyone around there. He may just get his kicks by dressing up in costume and glaring at people driving by. He never carries a sign so if he does work for a local business I and others driving by would have no idea what he's advertising for. I find this entire scene to be very humorous. Sometimes there is an African-American (you like my political correctness) male teenager that dresses up as The Statue of Liberty for what seems to be the same purpose. Which brings us back to the fact that I have no idea what that purpose is. Across town their is another establishment that uses a dirty old Uncle Sam as well. He just gives people a mean stare as they drive by. Probably not good for business. I don't know who's idea it was to advertise this way but I love it. It makes me laugh everytime I pass by.

Speaking of human directional advertising ... anyone watching that reality show on MTV about the guy from O-Town who's trying to make it as a solo artist? Lastnight he went to a temp agency to get some work until his record came out and they suggested that the only thing he was qualified for was "human directional advertising" which is basically standing outside a building with an A-frame sign hanging on your shoulders. I don't know what it is about ridiculous reality shows that sucks me in but I've started watching this guy's show. Next week he supposedly goes to an open mic night at a club to try out some new songs and he plays a wrong chord on the piano. I can't wait. And while we're on the subject of MTV reality ... how about the good ole Gauntlet. So sad to see Kara go lastweek. It's too bad all those other bitches (excuse me) had to gang up on her and Suzie. I'm a fan of both of those girls. And how crazy is Alton with climbing that cargo net lastnight in the gauntlet? That's insane. Poor Jeremy never stood a chance.

I just remembered something else I totally don't understand. NASCAR. Why do people watch that crap? I could go sit by the interstate for 5 hours with a cooler of beer for free and see the exact same thing. Apparently some guy named Jimmie Johnson (not the second greatest football coach in Dallas Cowboy history) won Daytona last weekend. Who cares. I'll take some Olympic Snowboard Cross anyday of the week over that stuff.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I saw a lady dressed as the Statute of Liberty at a Taco Bell off Riverside. She was talking to herself and everyone else in the restaurant. I think she was handing out flyers for a politcal race - and I thought "that guy's gonna lose."
There is also a lady who stands at the 35/Ben White intersection asking for money, and a few months ago a car dealer off the motor mile hired her to hold a sign while she begs....but alas, she does not dress up as anything.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

Best panhandler sign ever: Why Lie, Need Beer! Saw that one at 4th and 35 in Austin.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home